1. Which choice best describes what happens in the passage?
2. Which choice best describes the developmental pattern of the passage?
3. As used in line 1 and line 31, “directly” most nearly means
4. Which reaction does Akira most fear from Chie?
5. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
6. In the passage, Akira addresses Chie with
7. The main purpose of the first paragraph is to
8. As used in line 2, “form” most nearly means
9. Why does Akira say his meeting with Chie is “a matter of urgency” (line 16)?
10. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
Part II : Maths - No calculator
For questions 1-10, solve each problem, choose the best answer from the choices provided.
1. The use of a calculator is not permitted.
2. All variables and expressions used represent real numbers unless otherwise indicated.
3. Figures provided in this test are drawn to scale unless otherwise indicated.
4. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.
5. Unless otherwise indicated, the domain of a given function f is the set of all real numbers x for which f(x) is a real number.
Question 1) In a room filled with 7 people, 4 people have exactly 1 sibling in the room and 3 people have exactly 2 siblings in the room. If two individuals are selected from the room at random, what is the probability that those two individuals are NOT siblings?
Question 3) On average, the bottle-nosed dolphin comes up for air once every two minutes; the beluga whale, a close relative, comes up for air on average once every five minutes. The number of times a bottle-nosed dolphin would come up for air in a 24 hour period is approximately what percent greater than the number of times a beluga whale would come up for air in that same period?
Question 4) Car B starts at point X and moves clockwise around a circular track at a constant rate of 2 mph. Ten hours later, Car A leaves from point X and travels counter-clockwise around the same circular track at a constant rate of 3 mph. If the radius of the track is 10 miles, for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them (measured around the curve of the track)?
Question 5) 100 people are attending a newspaper conference. 45 of them are writers and more than 38 are editors. Of the people at the conference, x are both writers and editors and 2x are neither. What is the largest possible number of people who are both writers and editors?